Friday, February 12, 2010

Snow vs. Bike

This week I continued my training by going to the gym and using the indoor machines. It really wasn't too hard. I managed to get 8 miles in 30 minutes on one type of bike machine and later in the week on another bike machine, called "the Spinner", I managed to go 12 miles in 30 minutes. But indoor biking can be very deceiving. For one it doesn't really represent the variables that come with biking outdoors. Here in New York those variables consist of pot-wholes, pedestrians, other bikers, cars, etc. Two, without these variables and the lack of actually going anywhere one can get bored. I had planned on doing an hour each time I used the bike machines, but I simple lost interest. Because of this boredom I decided that I'd fight the cold and hit the pavement to do a little workout. Unfortunately, the "snowmageddon" hit New York this week and I tried my best not to go outside. But today...today it wasn't to cold and all the snow seemed to be melting. So I put on my warmest cloths, jumped on 'Captain Awesome'(my bike), and headed out. Once outside I faced my first leg of what would be an epic adventure. I began with trying to find a way onto the actual street over the massive piles of snow made by the plows clearing the street. This proved to be a very difficult task. You can try and go over the huge hills by picking up your bike and trying not to fall, or you can march through the giant puddles at the corners of the streets, getting super wet, or you could be like me and simple try and jump over the giant piles. Jumping over the piles will inevitably get you onto failblog.org. I recommend the puddle crossing at the street corners. Once in the street one should be in the bike lane, but with the snow, there really isn't any lane for bikes. So it's pretty much the center of the road between the cars. Lots of fun. Finally, the slushyness that remains in the street seems like it'd be a lot of fun, but turns out it's like a bad version of slip and slide. If you think you have got your balance, guess again, the pieces of ice hiding in the slush will trip you up. You end up almost face planting each time you hit a piece of ice. After the first 30 yards down my block I should have stopped. The thoughts of "this is the most exciting thing ever", should have been "this is the dumbest thing ever!" I managed to get in 2 miles today and not have any terrible accidents. Would I do it again? Probably. But for now I'll hit the boring old indoor bike machine to continue my training.
via golikeafox.blogspot.com



Continue Transmission

No comments: