Monday, June 2, 2008

Stimulus Wreck (Check)-Volume

So some of ua have received our incentive checks. And some of us have noticed that not only did the government send a check, the Department of the Treasury also sent a separate letter saying "You are entitled to an economic stimulus payment of xxx as provided by the Economic Stimulus Act of 2008." The best part is that this separate letter seems to come on the same day as the checks. Depending on how your sorted your mail you either found out you had a check or that you were getting a check all in one moment. For me I sniffed out the money first; opened the envelope with the check and looked at what the government had supposedly given back to me to somehow fix our vortex of an economical spiral of death! Then I opened like 7 bills and then I opened a letter telling me I would get a stupid check. Great thanks for letting me know I am getting a check, the check wasn't helpful enough to clarify this. 

Let me break down the stupidity of this situation just so I can be clear. For those of you who haven't gotten your check or notification of a check the notification letters are usually dated after your check has been cut.  This would indicate some sort of delay in ideas. It seems that someone cut the check and said "mmmh we should tell people they are getting a check, so they know." They then wrote a letter and mailed it out the same day the checks were mailed. I am all about notifying people, but come on. I mean does no one in the treasury department do math. Lets' go through the numbers. 

Postage by the US Postal service (at the time of this posting; fck knows its going to go up again-bastards) is 42 cents. 

First a letter goes out with a check to 130 million households. Then the notification letter is sent out to those same 130 million households. (130m households does not clarify actual number of people and what amount they are receiving. This exact information is not written on the IRS website)

That's 130,000,000 x .42 = 54,600,000

And 130,000,000 x .42 = 54,600,000

add those two numbers together and you get 109,200,000. 

Why did they do this? It's not like we are in serious economic trouble-oh wait, WE ARE! 

The government should have used this extra 109.2m to sort out any mess ups, because the government needs money to fix clerical problems. I am sure there are some clerical errors andI  have seem some articles, but the full extent is not known, since it will take more time and MONEY to figure it out.  

In general this concept of giving working class Americans some extra cash seems great. I mean who doesn't want a Hula Whoop and/or a Squeezy doll. But that's not what working class Americans are going to do. I am sure many other literary pieces will illustrated how people are going to pay their bills with the checks, not buy things that will spur economic growth. Not to go into to much details on my disdain for this stimulus idea, but this money is just going to go back into the corporate fat cats that control our electric, gas, water, etc. People should use this to pay their bills and ease the pain of how our cast system is setup, but no ones going to really this money on "stuff". I suggest that if one can, place the amount into a savings account with a high interest rate and just let it sit. This will grow by just leaving it there. Maybe one can only keep it there for a little bit, but a few bucks more is still a few bucks more. Or you can use the old fashion banking system and place the cash in a safe place and use it later. Please consider this option and remember you already gave this money to the government/corporations so see if you can use it for yourself by saving it for the upcoming real rainy days. 

1 comment:

Ben's Chronicle said...

Update: I spent my money on hookers and drugs. Thanks United States Government for allowing me to stimulate the economy with no economic activities. Go America!